[governance] WSIS 2013 [Call for Feedback for Official Contribution]

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Jan 10 00:56:52 EST 2013

Thanks Sala.

A few comments for the February/March consultation.

Public archive of MAG mailing list needed, not been updated for a year.

Workshops:  too many.  Cut to between 80 and 100.
Make this target number known when the call for
applications is published, might be the first
time quite a large number of proposals are
rejected (might think about implications of this
for the IGF), people should expect to be
disappointed.

Minimum of 50% of MAG members must complete assessment of all workshops.

Clarify rules for other sessions (open forums, dynamic coalition, etc.)

No reason an initial call to prepare proposals
can't be made before the Feb meeting (more time
better and the meetings a little later than
usual).  A reminder to MAG members to ready their
stakeholders.

For workshops, keep the current themes (access,
SOP, IG4D, CIR, emerging issues).  Have the MAG
better define Internet Governance, how it must be
considered in workshop proposals (there are other
spaces in WSIS follow-up for non-IG issues).  Use
an evaluation form for workshops (at the moment
don't even know if a room was empty or
overflowing, simple count a good idea.)  However,
indications are that while there were too many
workshops in Baku many were strong in content,
well received.  MAG should not cut what looks
like a success to favor the floundering main
sessions.

Merging not the always the solution, it's too
easy an answer for MAG in their evaluation to say
merge simply because proposals have similar words
in the titl.  If merging proposed then the new
workshop needs support or tendency to end up with
2 workshops in the same space (merge in name
only).

Overall theme for 2013: "enhanced cooperation --
meaningful participation of developing countries
in Internet governance".

Main sessions. Mix up the formats, 3 hours
generally too long, some poorly attended in Baku
and many grumbled complaints about poor content,
poor preparation, repeating issues from previous
years, etc.  Some main sessions need better
preparation (and some were good - transcripts
illustrate the differences, MAG needs to be aware
they have a role to complete, not last minute for
a meeting of the IGF's importance.)  Invite
speakers early.  Use (look for) funds to support
speakers.

Taking stock and emerging issues:  mix the two
sessions, then justifies 3 hours.  Probably best
held on the final morning (i.e. emerging issues
become issues the IGF thinks emerging as
important for the coming year(s)).

Final afternoon:  session on outcomes (1 hour), followed by closing.

Critical Internet Resources (strong session in
Baku, justifies 3 hours).  Keep as before.

New theme: Enhanced Cooperation. Sessions in
mixed formats over 1 day, e.g. Morning expert
panel session 2 hours. Follow by a long break
where people encouraged to join self-organizing
small groups to discuss a few set questions and
ideas from the morning panel.  Afternoon, 2 hour
moderated session with audience only, no
panel/experts etc.  Bring back comments from the
small groups.

New theme: Internet principles.  One day, perhaps
same format as suggested for enhanced
cooperation.  Try something different.

Development aspect of IG always overlooked and
too often "governance" lost as discussion focuses
on IT for development.  Open specific public
comment on design/scope of IG4D session. Bring
back to the May meeting to decide on topics and
format.

Time to drop access and SOP as main sessions, but
keep as workshops and perhaps round-tables.

Adam