[governance] banning list members

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Tue Jan 8 08:50:58 EST 2013

Hi McTim,

I fully support Sala's decision re temporary banning Suresh from this list.

Whether or not a member of this caucus contributes "actual, productive
Internet governance in the technical community" seems pretty irrelevant
for the assessment of the communication style of this member.

I've been on this list since 2003 or so and was its co-coordinator for a
few years. I have always found the communication culture on this list a
real pain. An enormous amount of energy among the active participants
seems to be wasted on being aggressive or fending off aggressive behaviour.

I have more or less given up contributing to these debates not only
because I dislike this macho "if you can't stand the heat, get out of
the kitchen" approach but also because following these endless
repetitions of the same arguments is very very tiresome.

While it may be true that there are more candidates than just Sala who
deserves being banned from this list, Sala deserves respect for the fact
that she is still trying to improve this very important communication
environment. I have always felt that this cross-stakeholder platform
fulfills a very important function for the interaction between civil
society and the technical community and I wished that more people helped
creating an atmosphere that makes this conversation a pleasure.

jeanette