[governance] Toward Reducing the Greenhouse Gas Emissions of the Internet and Telecommunications

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Sun Jan 6 22:53:02 EST 2013

Hi,

I'd go back and ask Michael Gurstein if 2% (or 0.2% or 20%) of global damage by IT or the Internet is good or bad, or is there a set level that would be satisfactory, a goal that can be proposed, discussed, and agreed upon.

What level of global CO2 emissions would have been deemed acceptable when the automobile industry started? It multiplied infinitely (from zero) the first time an internal-combusion engine was fired (or a steam one, a century earlier.)

Metrics are the first thing to think of... IT and the Internet contribute to, what, 13% of the US's economy? with only 2% of the emissions, and a social revolution on their back? Peter Hellmonds makes a large part of the point: we have zillions times more interactions than we would have without computers and the Internet. It is not even fair to compare videoconferencing with travel to meetings, or email/chat/IM/social media to the cost of face-to-face conversations, for one simple reason: those meetings and conversations would just not take place, or would not involve the same many people, if they had to be face-to-face.

So changing the face of society forever, increasing an economy's value by more than 10%, all for a meager 2% of emissions?

Pretty effective...

Lee: not to detract nor distract from your work. Excellent.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

! !! !!! !!!!
NEW PHONE NUMBER - NUEVO NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO

SMS +525541444475
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM, Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org