[governance] [igf_members] MAG Renewal for 2013

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Sun Jan 6 18:29:44 EST 2013

On 5 Jan 2013, at 11:04, Robert Guerra wrote:

> - If possible, civil society should coordinate among itself and send a single list of names it "recommends" to the UN. Competing lists, lessen the impact of the IGC on the decision making process

I do not see the point of this.  There are many points of aggregation in Civil Society .  It is long past time when the IGC could pretend to bea principle aggregator.  I do not see any other groups else that can serve as an adequate aggregator either.

Put another way, last time at least APC, Diplo, and IGC sent lists, of which I think Diplo had the most rigorous process.  i am sure there were many others (anyone have a tally of how many civil society lists were submitted).  I would assume that no matter how much someone tries to insist their group is the principle aggregator, others will send their own lists.

Besides it is just a suggestion to DESA.  It is not as if Civil society were selecting its own representatives,  Various groups are just giving list of suggestions to be chosen or passed-over as UNDESA sees fit.

As for processes, if the IGC can't follow its own processes and can't be bothered to amend them in time, one has to wonder about how viable the caucus remains.  Working around the processes invites others to ignore the recommendations.  We knew this was coming, so why weren't we prepared for it?

#justsaying