[governance] Updates on MAG 2013

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Jan 6 13:52:36 EST 2013

I think using the previous Nomcom is the most practical path forward, but
above all I think leaving the process to the (single currently) Co ordinator
is what we should do. The current Nomcom is less than 12 months old, has
only been used to select an Appeals Team, and operated effectively. Not all
Nomcoms in the past have been effective, as most of us know, and I would
prefer not to take the risk of a longer process that might give us dubious
results. We will be lucky to meet the deadline even with the path of least
resistance.

Re numbers to put forward - I think we should be aiming at a large slate of
nominees rather than a small one, to cover all contingencies. We don't know
who will be rotated off, either in CS or with other stakeholder groups, and
as the geographic and gender balance needs to be achieved cross-stakeholder,
it is better for us to present more options ( the loss of a North American
woman governmental representative may well present an opening for a civil
society woman from that area, etc) So I think a larger group of nominees
might be praxctical.

Ian Peter