[governance] Yes! Hands off the Internet!

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Tue Jan 1 11:33:47 EST 2013

Let me be frank.. It is an established fact that a contract to engage in illegal behavior is an invalid contract, ab initio.

So, if a website's contract with a user was to contravene some existing law in a country where the user is located, or were it to  contravene US law, it would be automatically rendered invalid.

Which is, I am sure you will appreciate, the reason why any such contact and all its revisions, would go through extensive due diligence legal review.

And, especially when a country's privacy, data protection, fair trade etc regulator has received complaints about the website, their lawyers would carry out an equally thorough review with a view to possible enforcement action against the website

So.. This might be more difficult than simply blogging about how disrespectful of user privacy a website is, but try to find where they violate local laws in their collection and use of your personal data, and complain to the appropriate regulator

--srs (htc one x)