[governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Jan 31 22:20:21 EST 2013

On 31/01/2013, at 7:58 PM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Could you please have a look at Baudouin Schombe's comments on
> paragraphs 4 and 5 of the draft text at
> http://www.igcaucus.org/digressit/archives/79
>
> Maybe someone is able to make a good specific suggestion on how to
> improve our draft text on the basis of these comments?

This is a bit wordy but "Main sessions and workshops should not be competing with each other, as they are not substitutes.  Workshops are the best forum for self-selected groups to exchange information, opinions and experiences.  These can be more productive than main sessions, but are often limited to narrow communities of interest and can therefore lack external impact.  Main sessions are better for bringing the insights developed through workshops and dynamic coalition members to the broader community of IGF participants, including those with influence over or connections to processes of policy development.  Main sessions have the potential to allow for high-level consensus-building and strategising on how these insights can be reflected in policy and/or technical processes elsewhere, sometimes across issue areas: for example, messages on critical Internet resources might also be relevant to those involved in security or openness issues and vice versa.  Therefore main sessions should not be treated as just "big workshops" relevant only to those with topical interests, but should be for the broadest possible segment of the IGF community to attend.  This means not scheduling at least some key main sessions (but perhaps fewer of them overall) that do not coincide with workshops."

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015: http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.