[governance] Social Big Brother

Joao Carlos Caribe caribe at entropia.blog.br
Tue Feb 26 11:03:52 EST 2013

On my remote participation on WSIS panel "Current and emerging ethical and societal challenges of the information society" I did this intervention on Q&A panel after my speech and wanna to discuss here on the "lair of the wolf":

Thinking about the ethical when we face the social network dilema from the point of view of the corporation behind this, we just realize that all data we put on the social network are public for anyone we can choose. But what about the managers that can see our "invisible" data, and mine that to "offer content taylored for us"? We are on the real one reality show everytime on the social networks from this behind the doors audience.

There was two important questions here:

1) Offering us the "taylored" content they put us behind the bubble filter, that can change our peception about the context.

2) They can mine and compare our data, behavior, relationship and know more about us than ourself. Can you imagine this in one scenario where the "cyberwar" paranoia are groing fast?

--
João Carlos Caribé
Publicitário e Consultor de mídias sociais
caribe at entropia.blog.br
twitter @caribe / skype joaocaribe
(21) 8761 1967