[governance] scope of "Internet governance" (was Re: Fwd: Why do US and EU trade negotiators hate the Berne Copyright Limitations and Exceptions?)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 13:04:16 EST 2013

Ahh. How do we define "Governance of the Internet"

And there is the rub, if 20% or so of humanity (say 40-50-60% of all
Internet users) is signed up to Facebook.com (or some equivalent numbers for
Google.com or mPesa, or .) and .000000001 of humanity is signed up to
bollow.ch then surely "quantity" becomes "quality" and particularly if
activities are undertaken using those applications/built on those platforms
that are "necessary" and "exclusive" i.e. they provide services or functions
that are necessary and are not easily accessible in any other way.

At that point there is I would think, the need (as a matter of "public
interest") for "an organisation who told you what protocols you could and
could not use".