SV: [governance] Brief report Re: Civil society representation at WSIS+10 in Paris

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Feb 22 11:46:30 EST 2013

Hi Anriette,

APC mentioned  "global public good"

4th draft of the ITU secretary general's report for the WTPF talks
about that <http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Pages/report-sg.aspx>,
bottom of page 7

quote
Today, the Internet is becoming “one of the basic commodities of life”
and various studies have cited the information and knowledge provided
over the Internet as examples of global public goods . The Internet is
comprised of many individual networks, although some networks (but not
always the content) may be the property of distinct groups, companies
or individuals. Applications such as the World Wide Web, E-mail, and
Instant Messaging have changed the lives of ordinary people in some
parts of the world. It is widely recognized that the utility and value
of a network increases with the square of the growth in the number of
nodes and users of that network.
end quote

The report references "Knowledge as a Global Public Good", Joseph
Stiglitz, <http://cgt.columbia.edu/files/papers/1999_Knowledge_as_Global_Public_Good_stiglitz.pdf>,
saying
"most observers agree that it is the knowledge and information
provided over the Internet which are non-rivalrous and non-excludable,
rather than the networks (which may be rivalrous and excludable)."

And then we have the uniquely assigned recourses that enable the
Internet to be what it is, IP addresses, domain names, AS numbers,
perhaps port numbers, and all that good stuff.

Anyway, there were a lot of good things on the CS proposals from that time.

Adam