[governance] Brief report Re: Civil society representation at WSIS+10 in Paris

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Feb 20 05:19:28 EST 2013

Dear all

As I mentioned before, Janis Karklins of UNESCO requested Marianne
Franklin (one of two co-chairs of the Internet Rights and Principles
Coalition) and myself to suggest speakers for the Paris WSIS+10 main
sessions to represent civil society. In the absence of any really
convincing answer to the question of who else should do this :-) we
have done so.

By necessity my participation in this process was not a formal
nomination activity of the Caucus, which would have required a NomCom,
and without a standing NomCom available for any tasks that might come
up, there was simply not enough time for initiating a NomCom
process.

First there was the request regarding the opening session, and very
recently the request regarding the other sessions. In each case a
reasonably quick response was expected.

I recommend that for future major events, a NomCom should be set up well
in advance, and it should prepare well in advance with thoughts on
potential nominees and selection criteria.

For the current WSIS+10 event, a very much ad hoc process was used,
where I have done my best to take into account the responses to the call
for expressions of interest that I posted here on the list.

I believe that we have a very good end result:

Opening session:
  Grace Githaiga

"High level" session on Monday afternoon:
  Anriette Esterhuysen and Michael Gurstein

Closing:
  Anita Gurumurthy

I have also encouraged these civil society representatives to consult
widely, as per the email message pasted below.

Greetings,
Norbert

--snip------------------------------------------------------------------

Janis Karklins <j.karklins at unesco.org> wrote:

> I am writing to you with proposal to take the floor on behalf of the
> civil society

Dear Anita, Anriette, Grace and Michael (the civil society
representatives at the plenaries of WSIS+10)

As you probably know, Janis Karklins of UNESCO had requested Marianne
and myself to suggest speakers for the WSIS+10 main sessions to
represent civil society. In the absence of any really convincing answer
to the question of who else should do this :-) we have done so.

Speaking just from my personal perspective right now, I would like to
encourage all of you to consult widely on what are important points to
make, using the mailing lists of the Internet Governance Caucus and the
Internet Rights and Principles coalition and whatever other networks
you're active in.

Of course if you do that, given the great breadth and diversity of
civil society, you're going to get more suggestions than you can use,
and it's of course each panelist's discretion to select which of the
points you want to mention and which of them you want to specifically
emphasize and how much you want to add from your personal perspective -
also taking into account what in your view may have been
underemphasized by other civil society speakers.

Overall (and I emphasize again that I'm speaking just from my personal
perspective here), I think that it is particularly important to clearly
draw attention to important points that have so far been largely
overlooked or ignored in the IGF process and other WSIS followup
processes.

Greetings,
Norbert