[governance] Please register for remote participation @ WSIS+10

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Feb 20 02:32:05 EST 2013

Dear all

At the WSIS+10 review event, today Feb 20 seems to be the registration
deadline.

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/flagship-project-activities/unesco-and-wsis/wsis-10-review-meeting/

Remote participants are able to register themselves in the same way as
in-person participants. This is something that civil society advocates
of remote participation have been asking for, and it is good to see it
implemented.

It will also be good to see it widely used. :-)

During one of the preparatory sessions for the remote participation
process in which I've (remotely) participated (I'm going to serve as
on-site remote participation moderator for the IRP coalition's
session "Rights-Based Principles and the Internet: Taking Stock and
Moving Forward"), it was mentioned that UNESCO has gotten some special
funding or sponsoring or so to fund the remote participation
infrastructure, and that therefore it is important to UNESCO to have
numbers demonstrating that this has served an important purpose.

I think that most likely the same numbers will also be considered in
deciding how much effort will be put into enabling remote participation
to future events.

So, unless of course you're going to be there in person and you have
registered for that already, please take the step to register as a
remote participant. That contributes to making an important point about
the importance of the voice of all those who for various reasons are
not there.

Again, there seems to be a deadline of today Feb 20.

Greetings,
Norbert