[governance] Results of IGC Charter Amendment Poll

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 19:32:34 EST 2013

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org
[mailto:governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org] On Behalf Of Norbert Bollow
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:27 PM
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org
Subject: Re: [governance] Results of IGC Charter Amendment Poll

Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> I am not even sure most of the voters understood the quorum
> requirement.

Given that no-one expressed concern about whether the quorum would be
reached, or invested any effort into reminding people to vote, I'd say that
definitely at least to the proponents of the amendment proposals and to the
co-coordinator this was not clear enough.

Really something has gone wrong here in that we as a group have only
realized after the poll has ended that we have this tough quorum rule here.

Clearly one requirement for a properly conducted poll is that there should
not be this kind of surprise about the rules after the poll has ended.

The question is, what is the appropriate way to recover?

Throwing all the work of the amendment proposers away is IMO not an
appropriate response.

Perhaps we should declare the charter amendments poll *invalid* on the basis
that the rules that the interpretation of the poll result would be subject
to co-coordinators had failed quorum rule had not been understood and
announced in advance?

Then it would be justifiable to repeat the poll, and doing that is not a
precedent for "redo the polling process until we get a result that we like",
but rather an example of "declare invalid that which was not done in a valid
manner, and then do it in a valid manner".

Greetings,
Norbert