[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Feb 16 16:16:31 EST 2013

In message <017301ce0c82$3a68c6b0$af3a5410$@gmail.com>, at 12:14:17 on
Sat, 16 Feb 2013, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>My own opinion on this would be that folks such as you are describing would
>in fact need to become somewhat pro-active to be "of" civil society --
>whether they joined a specific group would depend on the circumstances. But
>if they were concerned that certain norms were being expressed (for example
>anti-stalking) or that normative based actions (anti-stalking measures) were
>being proceeded with they would probably need to become part of some "group"
>or other.

There are at least three anti-stalking charities in the UK and all were
started by victims (or their families). The one you might have heard of
is the Suzy Lamplaugh Trust.

I'm a little unusual in that my contribution to the anti-stalking effort
is not as a result of direct personal experience, but rather an
appreciation of how "online" has a dark side as well as the liberating
influence so many rightly applaud.

>However, the specifics of that "becoming part of" or of those
>particular "groups" would vary dramatically all the way from "likes" on a
>Facebook group to joining issue based organizations/demo's etc.etc.

Where on such a scale do the more conventional Civil Society
participants of this list place themselves?

>As for the person from the industry group... as I understood it, he was
>arguing that as a citizen he was "in" civil society

More than that, by being engaged with the issues and having an opinion.

--
Roland Perry