[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Feb 16 14:13:17 EST 2013

In message <00ef01ce0c6e$60a5fd70$21f1f850$@gmail.com>, at 09:52:11 on
Sat, 16 Feb 2013, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>To be a wee bit philosophical here... We should probably be talking about those who are "in" CS (as for example, as a descriptive category for
>those not in government, business etc.etc.) in contrast with those who are "of" CS (i.e. those who have ascribed themselves or could be
>ascribed to sharing/advocating in support of some set of normative principles/values associated with CS...
>
>In this determination, "stalkers" could be seen as "in" CS without necessarily be "of" CS (unless there was a grouping supporting "stalker
>rights" as part of a large CS rights and principles initiative :)

I understand the distinction you are trying to make, but how does it
work in practice?

Recently a contributor here who is "in" a trade association was in
effect accused of being inextricably "of" that trade association
(although he very plausibly denied it).

On the other hand, we all know about the professional difficulty
Government employees have with trying to express "a personal view"
divorced from their day-job.

The group of people I'm trying to place somewhere within the eco-system
are those "in" civil society who have been affected by "something bad
happening on the Internet". Do they have to join some sort of lobbying
group in order to become "of" something, and is that something within
Civil Society, or one of the other stakeholder groups (if the latter,
which...)?
--
Roland Perry