[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Feb 16 08:38:14 EST 2013

In message <511F48D6.3050506 at itforchange.net>, at 14:22:38 on Sat, 16
Feb 2013, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>> And that sounds like it includes my recent activity, which has been
>>working with interest-based charities, volunteers etc who have a focus
>>on one particular aspect of social justice, human rights and the rule
>>of law: Prevention of violence against women - in particular those who
>>are tracked and harassed via their Internet footprint (commonly on
>>social networking sites).
>>
>> However, I'm also aware that in order to achieve the goal of
>>protecting women, some people might characterise the techniques
>>involved as forms of selective censorship and attempts to strip away
>>anonymity (in both cases with respect to their attackers).
>>
>> So not every part of Civil Society necessarily has the same view on
>>core issues such as these.
>
>No, congruity of views in not the test. Working for public interest is.
>Although there can be different and contested notions of public
>interest - and that space of contestation, negotiation and possible
>resolution/ harmonisation is called politics

Unfortunately we don't always have "joined-up politics", so while there
might be [there is] a political consensus to introduce a law in the UK
to combat stalking (of which cyber-stalking is the fastest growing),
nothing has been done to telecoms law to make it easier to gather
evidence, especially cross-border.

So some opposing views (within civil society, because both stalker and
stalked are ordinary citizens and therefore members of civil society)
have not yet been resolved.
--
Roland Perry