[governance] Re: caucus contribution -> possible replacement terms for NN?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Feb 14 04:29:25 EST 2013

Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <20130213202010.45e1fa92 at quill.bollow.ch>, at 20:20:10 on
> Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes
> >“How to maintain the principle (sometimes referred to as ‘net
> >neutrality’) that the price which an ISPs charges their customer for
> >exchanging data packets via the Internet shall not depend on the
> >content of the data packets, nor on who specifically is the remote
> >party? What shall be the mechanisms and institutions involved in this
> >process?”
>
> I'm not sure I know of any ISP that charges their consumer customers
> different rates for different types of packet.

That language is trying to somehow address the type of concern that
was expressed in media coverage about the Dutch "net neutrality law"
by means of the following words:

  "Under the new law, mobile internet providers like KPN won't be able
  to charge for access to particular services like Skype or throttle
  traffic through them — both techniques that the company was intent on
  using to manage its mobile traffic."

In my view, the concern is expressed well enough in the proposed text
for our present purpose, even if it is true that there is an aspect
which is not covered, namely potentially intentionally throtteling (or
e.g. introducing jitter) specifically to stop people from using specific
services that happen to compete with other offerings of the ISP.

Is someone here of the opinion that it is important to continue
wordsmithing this?

Greetings,
Norbert