[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Feb 14 02:56:37 EST 2013

In message <20130213174442.1b886421 at quill.bollow.ch>, at 17:44:42 on
Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes
>The Council of Europe's Code of Good Practice for Civil Participation
>in the Decision-Making Process
><https://wcd.coe.int/ViewDoc.jsp?Ref=CM%282009%29148> has what is IMO a
>good characterization of what I'd call “civil society organizations”,
>calling them “NGOs”:
>
>   “In relation to this Code of Good Practice for Civil Participation
>   the term is taken to refer to organised civil society including
>   voluntary groups, non-profit organisations, associations,
>   foundations, charities, as well as geographic or interest-based
>   community and advocacy groups. The core activities of NGOs are
>   focused on values of social justice, human rights, democracy and the
>   rule of law. In these areas the purpose of NGOs is to promote causes
>   and improve the lives of people.”

And that sounds like it includes my recent activity, which has been
working with interest-based charities, volunteers etc who have a focus
on one particular aspect of social justice, human rights and the rule of
law: Prevention of violence against women - in particular those who are
tracked and harassed via their Internet footprint (commonly on social
networking sites).

However, I'm also aware that in order to achieve the goal of protecting
women, some people might characterise the techniques involved as forms
of selective censorship and attempts to strip away anonymity (in both
cases with respect to their attackers).

So not every part of Civil Society necessarily has the same view on core
issues such as these.
--
Roland Perry