[governance] Civil Society (was Re: caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Feb 13 10:25:27 EST 2013

Dear Nick,

in order to perhaps explain better where I'm coming from... what we're
doing in developing an IGC "written contribution", especially during
the consensus process phase, is part of what the IGC mission statement
calls "representation of civil society contributions in Internet
governance processes"... I would suggest that if you want to be part of
a group representing civil society in any topic area, you need to be
deeply immersed in civil society thinking in that topic area. Of course
it is possible to achieve this kind of immersion while having a
different (typically, non civil society) day job during which one works
in a different topic area. I don't believe that it is possible to be in
such a way immersed in civil society thinking in a topic area while at
the same time representing business interests in the same topic area.
(So, for example if a professional industry interests representative
in the area of Internet governance, like yourself, wants to gain
experience at being also a civil society representative, that would
be achieved by engaging as a civil society person in a totally
unrelated subject area, e.g. cyclists' rights.)

In any case, your recent response to Parminder was to my ears very much
an expression of an industry perspective.

That is not a contradiction with your claim that you're "an advocate
for actual people". In fact, isn't it in a way the whole point of
industry is that it exists to meet needs of actual people? Any company
which doesn't do that is likely to go bankrupt quickly!

Also I think that it is great when industry representatives take pro
civil society positions. (With that I mean that if there is a good
civil society position, which is convincing on the merits of its
arguments, and then industry representatives decide to support that
position, that's great!) Conversely it also sometimes happens that
civil society representatives support some positions developed by
industry representatives.

We civil society people however need to be careful to maintain our
independence, and identity as civil society, and that we don't allow the
positions that are appropriate for civil society to take to be watered
down etc.

In fact civil society in the Internet governance area is in my opinion
to a significant extent in an identity crisis, in the sense that the
practical meaning of the term "civil society", and what the associated
value systems are, is today much less clear than it used to be say ten
years ago. That is in fact a significant part of the reason why I
jumped at this opportunity to establish at least some kind of boundary
marker.

Greetings,
Norbert