[governance] RE: [IRPCoalition] Blogpost: Civil Society and the Emerging Internet Cold War: Non-Alignment and the Public Interest

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 03:46:22 EST 2013

At the very least, it has become abundantly clear that when it comes
to the internet, there is private/corporate interest-grown CS and
there is public interest-grown CS. Public interest-grown CS has
something in common with the *notion* of state or (public) government
even though they often have to fight against established governments;
on the other hand the private/corporate interest-grown CS is never
more so apparent and so vocal as when the corporations with interests
at stake cannot influence the policy agenda upfront (which they are
probably used to doing in big corporation-friendly governments) or
stop policymakers both at home and overseas from considering decisions
that they think are detrimental to their business.

Now, I am not implying that one can say this entity is a
private/corporate interest-grown CSO and that entity is a public
interest-grown CSO. Neither am I a Manichean rejecting the notion that
those two sets of interests might overlap or align sometimes. I know
corporations have a beneficial impact in the public arena and some go
out of their way to do social good. There are many variables that
might lead an entity to behave like one or the other kind of CS,
starting with the issue area which will have to be one that involves
those two sets of interests and funding structures, etc. I am just
saying even though they might not always have clear cut material
boundaries, those logics or dynamics exist in the public sphere or in
our public discourse and sometimes profoundly define the terms of the
debate. If that is the case then when taking positions on issues of
interest for the two kinds of CS, public interest-grown CS should
spell things out (e.g., its fundamental premises and values as well as
its ultimate goals, and possibly what distinguishes them from other
CS-like discourses) in a manner that enables its actors and
representatives to interact constructively and evolve toward possible
points of agreement with all participants/sides, with the constant
conscience and within the boundaries of those premises, values and
goals. It is either that or the wholesale and buying of pre-fabricated
slogans and supposedly irreconcilable or non-amendable antagonisms.

Best,

Mawaki
P.S. If I sounded above like addressing the question more from the
standpoint of what I call public interest-grown CS, it's because my
understanding is that this Caucus was formed in that vein and, at the
very least, that's where I'm coming from.