[governance] RE: [IRPCoalition] Blogpost: Civil Society and the Emerging Internet Cold War: Non-Alignment and the Public Interest

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 17:55:20 EST 2013

I've no idea of the position of "China, Russia, Iran etc." on the issue, but
at least from my reading there was considerable support for the below among
the "sovereigntist" camp--my point being that there was a wide range of
perspectives within that group and it is possible/desireable for CS to make
the effort to recognize that spectrum and to align itself with those who for
example support the below (and seek a means to have them support our broader
positions). That the "lib-dems" ended up "opposing" the resolution below if
only by association, should be (and I believe has been) a cause of
considerable embarrassment within that camp and its followers.

RESOLUTION PLEN/1 (DUBAI, 2012)
Special measures for landlocked developing countries and small island
developing
states for access to international optical fibre networks

http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-D/Pages/News.aspx?ItemID=16 +
http://www.un.org/special-rep/ohrlls/lldc/default.htm