[governance] Defund the ITU petition

Katim S. Touray kstouray at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 06:09:09 EST 2013

Dear all,

All this talk about UNESCO and the US government reminds me of a night in
Dakar, Senegal, in 2003.

I was there for a conference of African intellectuals and on our way by bus
to a conference event called dialog among generations, I was lucky enough
to sit, by pure accident, next to Dr. Amadou Mahktar Mbow, former Director
General of UNESCO.  I recall we had a wonderful conversation, mainly on
UNESCO's efforts regarding the struggle for the then New International
Information Order (remember that one?), and the boycott of the organization
by the US.  I remember asking him how it feels now that most of his
detractors and critics were either long dead or out of office. I leave it
to your imagination to guess his reply to my question.

Katim