[governance] Are Techies from Venus and Non-techies from Mars :)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:35:06 EST 2013

Thanks McTim for reminding us of this document which was very influential in
its time and is still interesting.

I'ld forgotten about their very interesting and creative refiguring of the
term "markets".  I think in literary analysis terminology that's called a
"synechdoche"-- which according to that source of all wisdom and
understanding Wikipedia, means "simultaneous understanding"-- "a figure of
speech in which a term for a part of something is used to refer to the whole
of something, or vice-versa."

Now re-reading this with fresh eyes after 15 years or so... It's hard to
quite pin down what they mean by "markets" but I think the closest is #39
"The community of discourse is the market."--where they seem to indicate
that they are using "market" as a synonym for "community"... (this seems to
be close to the way in which Anthropologists usually use the term "markets"
and about as far from how classical/conventional Economists use the of term
as it is possible to be).

If one re-reads the Manifesto and systematically substitutes the term
"community" for "market/markets" you come perilously close to turning this
into a Community Informatics manifesto and one which I would of course,
strongly agree!

Thanks again for this,

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Executive Director: Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development
and Training (CCIRDT)
Vancouver, BC CANADA

tel/fax: +1-604-602-0624
email: gurstein at gmail.com