[governance] caucus contribution, consultation and MAG meeting

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at ccianet.org
Mon Feb 4 16:24:32 EST 2013

A big +1 too.

Candidly, I was struck in Baku by how much of the content of the
sessions was rehashing of sessions I saw in Athens, and Rio, including
the same voices saying the same things.

If we want the IGF to add real value, we need to move beyond where we
are. That doesn't mean taking decisions or inventing principles IMHO,
however:

* Multistakeholderism and bottom up processes are not just used in
Internet policy. It is high time to look at the other areas of policy
that it is used for and how and why it works there.
* The MDG review is the same year as WSIS+10. If the next 10 years of
WSIS is just more discussion of governance processes given how many
billions of humans aren't connected to the Internet at all yet, then
we have all failed and we should think bigger.
* The economy of the Information Age is transforming everything.
Privacy, security, commerce, productivity, income gaps... Isn't that
the sort of thing that really matters in real people's lives? Wouldn't
everyone be better off if there were more linkages between all the
different MS-based Internet policy shops? Why not spend some time at
the IGF helping people understand how they can participate - and
bringing some more of these processes into closer engagement?

--
Regards,

Nick

Sent from my one of my handheld thingies, please excuse linguistic mangling.