[governance] Re. participate in poll to amend the IGC charter

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Feb 4 06:38:54 EST 2013

Imran Ahmed Shah <ias_pk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Would you please
> >> inform me the method in which some one can choose single item from
> >> a proposed amendments.
> >> for example in case of amendment #1, there are two changes are
> >> proposed:
>
> Section wise selection was as important as the abstain option is.
> Being a member, my vote is important. Please suggest me, who to do it?
> Best Regards

Dear Imran

I think that what you're asking for here, that the coordinators
would take it upon themselves to split up a formally proposed
charter amendment proposal (that was proposed as a unit) into two
logically independent parts, is not something that the coordinators
should do. If the coordinators were to do this kind of thing, would
they also do it e.g. to the fourth proposal? [1] That one proposes
three changes, but it doesn't really make sense to treat them as
independent. If the first change was accepted but the second change was
not accepted we would have a rather absurd (but logically
non-contradictory) rule that coordinator elections should take place
half a year before term of office starts. If the first change is
accepted but the third change is not accepted we would have an example
that doesn't make sense. Please let's not make it needlessly easy for
the Caucus coordinators to mess things up. :-)
[1] See http://igcaucus.org/formally-proposed-charter-amendments

In regard to the first proposal, the situation is different in that I
agree that that proposal actually combines logically independent
aspects. However since both aspects are regulated in the same passage
of charter text, there would have been a significant complexity cost in
addressing the two aspects in separate charter amendment proposals.
But it would have been possible. In particular, it would have been
possible for any group of at least ten voting members of the Caucus to
submit an alternative proposal that changes only one of the two
aspects. In that case Avri's proposal and the alternative proposal
would have been combined into a single question of the poll which would
have given four choices: A "yes" choice for either of the two proposals
(Avri's proposal changing both aspects and the alternative proposal
changing only one aspect), a "no to both proposals" option, and a "no
answer" option.

Greetings,
Norbert