[governance] The NomCom has been constituted

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Feb 1 08:51:12 EST 2013

[IGC Coordinator hat on]

Dear all

The NomCom has been constituted. See below for a copy of the email that
I just sent to the members of the NomCom.

Sala and I wish to hereby express our sincere thanks also to those who
participated in the NomCom selection process without getting selected.
You have thereby mande an important contribution to our ability as a
Caucus to run a proper NomCom process.

Greetings,
Norbert

--snip------------------------------------------------------------------

[IGC Coordinator hat on]

Dear Guru, dear Voting NomCom Members

First, on behalf of Sala and myself, let me thank you again for your
willingness to serve Civil Society in general and the IGC in particular
as members of the NomCom tasked with selecting Civil Society nominees
for the CSTD WG on Enhanced Cooperation.

Sala and I are hereby appointing Gurumurthy Kasinathan (Guru) as
Non-Voting Chair for this NomCom.

I will make a few more remarks about the task before you, but after
this I believe the NomCom to be independent of the IGC Coordinators in
the sense that we as coordinators should not be guiding your work. In
fact, if Guru desires practical advice on the role of Non-Voting Chair,
it may be more appropriate to request such advice from previous
Non-Voting Chairs of IGC NomComs than from the IGC Coordinators.

There is some preliminary information on the CSTD WG on Enhanced
Cooperation available at the CSTD website, it's currently the top item
on http://unctad.org/en/Pages/CSTD.aspx . My understanding is that that
Feb 8 deadline does not apply to us, but rather to governments which
are CSTD members and who may want to provide feedback on the plan. The
actual call for nominations, to which IGC should respond with the
results of your work, is to my best knowledge expected to be published
later but before the end of in February.

http://www.igcaucus.org/nomcom-process provides the following rules and
guidance for your work:

    Whenever possible, one month will be used to constitute the nomcom
    and determine the criteria for the selections they are to make, and
    one month will be used to discuss and decide on candidates.

    All nomcom participants, voting and non voting, will be
    disqualified from selection as candidates for the list or team
    being chosen. Members of the current appeals team will also be
    disqualified from being chosen.

    Criteria used by nomcom will be made public and will be reviewed by
    the caucus whenever possible before decisions are made

    All candidates reviewed by nomcom will be made public as will their
    applications and other information

    The nomcom chair will put out a report after the selection giving a
    description of the internal processes used in the selection.

    Each nomcom will be selected for a specific decision and will be
    disbanded after the decision is made.

Some additional thoughts:

* Guru, it might be a good idea to start out by explicitly reconfirming
  with each of the NomCom members that they're able to serve in this
  role. (If that is not the case for all, call on the first reserve and
  if necessary also on the second reserve.)

* The Caucus has several members who are experienced in dealing with
  the CSTD. The NomCom has complete freedom to ask the Caucus for
  advice regarding selection criteria even in advance of the "review
  of the criteria" step foreseen in the charter. The NomCom has complete
  freedom to choose to accept or reject such advice for any reason.
  However I would suggest that the reasons for such decisions should be
  documented in the report.

* Sine no-one will do this for you, it will be a responsibility of the
  NomCom to make, at an appropriate time, an invitation to the
  mailing list inviting those who are interested in serving on the
  Enhanced Cooperation WG to express their interest. You may choose
  to invite them to also submit supporting documentation (e.g.
  expressions of support from other organizations).

* If the NomCom considers it appropriate for such supporting
  documentation to be forwarded to the CSTD, it will be good to make
  this clear from the beginning, so that people will know that it might
  be worthwhile to invest a bit of extra effort.

Greetings,
Norbert