[governance] Brazil, WSIS 10+ and ITU

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 10:42:08 EST 2013

I agree with Jeanette.
I would even go a little further.
Why don't "we" - civil society - have a "meeting" too?
I know we don't have funds to take people to Brazil or London or wherever,
but we do have the Internet which we keep advocating as a potential
solution to that type of challenge.
We could stipulate a time (say the third week in January - from 19th). We
must have someone - techier than I am - who can create a space?? We could
publish a list of issues - which could be added to - and the conclusions
reached so far by the people who have been considering those issues up to
now. We could invite everyone who would like to come and participate.
We could spend the selected week in intensive discussion to tease out a
summary of our collective approach to the issues under discussion to give
to whoever will finally "represent" us at these other meetings. If we find
we can't agree we should at least have a clear idea of where we differ.
Deirdre

On 27 December 2013 09:27, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> wrote:

> Am 27.12.13 11:38, schrieb "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang":
>
>  Hi everybody
>>
>> I would prefer on this list a discussion on substance and the
>> concrete CS contribution to the two envisaged outcome documents for
>> the meeting in Brazil: 1. a declaration of principles and 2. a road
>> map/plan of action. It is not a secondary issue how CS channels its
>> ideas into the process, and we should be represented in a proper way
>> in all committees respecting the special responsibilities of the
>> local organizers. However, substance comes first and if we want to
>> have a seat on the table, we have to demonstrate that we make
>> substantial contributions and come with new, fresh, fair and workable
>> ideas how to enhance and improve the IG processes in 2014 an beyond
>> in the intersts of individual users based on our commitmenet to human
>> rights and development.
>>

>>  Since there seem to be several people who are tired of these big-ego
> cultivating exchanges on this list, we could actually try to work on the
> Andrew's compilation of contributions which he circulated on Dec 13.
> (subject line: input into Brazil summit). There has been no substantive
> response to this as far as I am aware of.
>
> The amount of text is a bit daunting and not easy to handle for a mailing
> list. One way to go about this would be to decide with which section we
> want to start and have someone drafting a shorter text out of all answers.
> My suggestion would be to start with questions 3:
>
> What is the case for reform of these arrangements and on what grounds
> (better protection of human rights and democracy, better representation
> from global south etc)
> and 4:
> What existing proposals for reform are you aware of and how do they meet
> the criteria for reform you set out in the previous question
>
> jeanette

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979