[governance] Brazil, WSIS 10+ and ITU

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sat Dec 28 07:48:47 EST 2013

Hi

On Dec 27, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Deborah Brown <Deborah at accessnow.org> wrote:

> Hi Wolfgang, all,
>
> I very much share the concerns you raised, however I wonder if strategically the intergovernmental consultations on the modalities for the overall WSIS review can be separated from the modalities themselves. [see OP22 below] In other words, couldn't CS and other stakeholders take advantage of the fact that the modalities for the review haven't been decided yet and push for a CSTD WG-like structure to be the the outcome of the consultations that will be taking place early next year?

> 22. Decides to finalize the modalities for the overall review by the General Assembly of the implementation of the outcomes of the World Summit on the Information Society, in accordance with paragraph 111 of the Tunis Agenda, as early as possible, but no later than the end of March 2014, and invites the President of the Assembly to appoint two co-facilitators to convene open intergovernmental consultations for that purpose;

It’s beginning to look like 2003 all over again.  Perhaps we should add to our fun projects by rebooting the CS Bureau, Content and Themes Group, and Plenary?  It looks like the plenary list is still functioning and has received mail as late as February of this year...http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/pipermail/plenary/

> Perhaps it's optimistic to think an intergovernmental consultation could result in a more open prep-com process, but given that UNGA has created 2 MS WGs through CSTD in the last few years and that theis resolution reaffirms CSTD (through ECOSOC) as "the focal point in the system-wide follow-up" for WSIS (PP10), maybe it's worth a try?

Yes a push would be needed, but then CS would have to be able to collaborate with other stakeholders, the suggestion of which is of course ideological, and a reflection of your false consciousness and co-optation by hegemonic power structures.

Cheers

Bill