[bestbits] [discuss] [governance] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Dec 27 10:30:24 EST 2013

On Friday 27 December 2013 08:18 PM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2013, at 10:41 pm, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
>> In any case, I request the leaderships of IGC, BB, APC and IRP
>> colaition to let us know what there current position is on this
>> issue, and what do they propose to do since it seems that things are
>> going in the direction that they did not want them to go..
>
> Just speaking personally for now, while I remain skeptical about 1net,
> I am content with the position that Ian has described, that the
> coordinating group will be responsible for the nominations, and the
> 1net committee will just be a conduit.  I don't see much "value add"
> there, but neither do I see grave harm.

Jeremy

You had termed something as a 'power grab' not long back :)

If something is to be only a conduit, why would that role be sought by
anyone, and conferred on anyone.... I am sure the Brazilians are
perfectly good in running email ids for themselves....

Firstly, there could be issues about forwarding names for organizing
committees... Bill elaborated just now how some groups cannot claim that
they exhaust the category of 'civil society' .... If more names get
forwarded than there are CS slots on different committees, who prunes
the numbers down..... This is the crucial question.... Can you assure me
that it wont be 1Net, who would be asked to just forward the perfect
number and no more....

Secondly, this is an official entry of 1Net as (an extremely important)
formal entity into the Brazil meeting process... Cant you see that! At
present, it is about the committee members' nominations. Later it will
be about receiving, drafting, organising, compiling substantive
inputs..... And when one is caught in a bind about what exactly is to be
considered a 'mainstream' input from one stakeholder group or the other,
a similar choosing role will arise... Who will do it. Watch out for
1Net, soon to be declared as bottom up, properly constituted 'community
process'.

And well of course, it is by now clear to me that the main role that
1Net will play is to present a 'consensus' (or thereabout) community
view on substantive matters - the proposed outcomes of the meeting - a
set of Internet principles, and a road map for reform of global IG (or
for not reforming it). (If you are a betting kind I am even ready to
take bets :) )

Anyway, I really hope that civil society stops playing naive..... And to
the extend some actors here are not playing naive but it is a considered
pursuance of a political thinking and strategy, please be clear about
it....So that others who have a different political thinking may be
allowed to express themselves fairly and allowed to do what they want to
do. That I would say is a core civil society value. Separating people
into 'nice' and 'not so nice' categories wont do any more to cover up
real deep politics in operation here...

parminder