[governance] [bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 03:54:18 EST 2013

David,

The sequence of activities as I understand them has been
1. the creation of the CS "coordinating committee"--which was drawn from
certain CS groupings but not others... I have two problems with this, first
that the Best Bits coordinating group, a founding member of the CS CC,
itself is self-selected without due procedures or transparency;  secondly
the CS coordinating committee did not appear to have any criteria for who
should be included in this grouping, and one moreover where I have made
several approaches on behalf of the Community Informatics network to be
included with no useful response (see my correspondence with Ian Peter and
Jeremy Malcolm in this regard.

2. this "coordinating committee" without any evident larger consultation
pulled some criteria out of the air for making its nominations for various
CS positions within the Brazil committee structure evidently designed
specifically to exclude the Community Informatics network.

3. without any evident transparent or accountable process it proceeded to
make nominations in these regards and forward them to responsible parties.

I'm not sure what happens when you pile an illegitimate process onto an
illegitimate process on top of a further illegitimate process but to my mind
the result is not one that any reasonable person should find acceptable
under any circumstances.

I know nothing about NCSG and can't comment on that... I'm quite familiar
with the IGC which, though it had significant faults, the lack of legitimate
processes was not one of them... I know little about the internal activities
of either Diplo or APC although I have had very significant respect for
Diplo (and am surprised to see them continue to be engaged in this charade),
and am a recently arrived "Associate" with APC which would seem on the
surface to have some significant similarities and common interests with the
Community Informatics network and thus I'm rather surprised to see them not
acting in consistency with these.

(and honestly I'm a bit tired of all this and will withdraw from future
discussion on these matters as the CI network works towards making its own
nomination process and ultimately nominations.  However, as I said at the
very beginning of these discussions, the CS Coordinating Committee process,
procedures and outcomes lack any legitimacy and any process that allows
these illegitimate processes to proceed as part of its own processes will
itself lack legitimacy.

Best,