[governance] Re: [bestbits] Call to Best Bits participants for nominations to Brazil meeting committees

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Thu Dec 26 01:35:24 EST 2013

+1, I said much the same in an earlier post, but what you say here puts it much better

Dominant reasonable views are a consensus, not a "hegemony". Hegemony is more like the attempt to forcibly impose unacceptable minority views on a majority (like say a nation forcing the adoption of a particular religious or political ideology, all the way to the assiduous pushing of a proposal like CIRP that explicitly does not have consensus or acceptability).

If an individual or group's participation can be seen to guarantee power politics and oneupmanship, conflict with / attempts to exclude a class of peers with shared goals, and the advocacy of proposals that actually veer towards multilateralism, civil society remains much better off not choosing such people or groups to represent them.

--srs (iPad)