[governance] Re: AW: [NCSG-Discuss] Report from the BR meeting local organizing group - Dec 2013

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Mon Dec 23 18:21:25 EST 2013

Grande Wolf, thanks. Your comments and many others I am receiving will
be very helpful for us to refine several aspects of the process and
structure. I am compiling the suggestions to present them to the local
gorup on our next online meeting, on Dec.27.

Thanks again!

fraternal regards

--c.a.

On 12/23/2013 08:04 AM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks Carlos. Very helpful and stimulating. This sounds for me like a reasonable and promising plan.
>
> One key problem - at least in my eyes - will be to have a good "enhanced communication" among the various committtees, but as long as Harmut is responsible for the "backbone" I am sure that this will be worked out. A man who has organized two wonderful ICANN meetings and one excellent IGF and has access to the president´s office guarantees that this will work.
>
> Here are six comments:
>
> 1. It is important to keep expectations with regard to the outcome on a realistic level. Do not put too much into the conference baskets. It would be a big achievement if the conference could - as already envisaged - work around and adopt two documents: A Multistakeholder Declaration of Principles and a Roadmap for the further evolution of the IG Ecosystem until 2015/2020.
>
> 2. The Conference should be seen as a great opportunity to give a injection into the ongoing process and to channel the direction of the IG discussion into the broader context of multistakehoderism. This "multistakeholder environment" is still unchartered territory and the conference should give a push for more exploration of this "terra incognita". It is important to avoid a constellation "mutilateral vs. multistakeholder". This would end in a confrontational approach and could become counterproductive. It also doesn´t mirror the reality of the existing and evolving IG Eco-System. The conference should not become a boxing event where the "blue corner" fights the "red corner" (some governments vs. a rainbow coalition). The conference should make clear, that the move from an intergovernmental system of the 20th century into a multistakeholder system of the 21st century is a move from Level 1 to Level 2, which means, that the intergovernmental mechanisms do not disappear but are embed
ded now into a broader environment with more independent (global) players. One can describe this as an evolving multilayer multiplayer mechanism of communication, coordination and collaboration among governmental and non-governmental actors. National sovereignty, national governments and national interests do not disappear, but their execution is more complex and needs additional innovative procedures, interactions and mechanisms. And problems can not been settled anymore by a "one size fits all" approach (by one single committee, switch, king or czar) but only on a case by case basis with the involvement of the affected and concerned parties where for each case the proposed governance mechanism has to be designed individually according to the specific nature of the problem under discussion.

> 3. There is no need to reinvent the wheel if it comes to the Declaration on Principles. As we have discussed it in Nairobi, Baku and Bali, there are already more than 25 documents, adopted by intergovernmental and non-governmental organisations. A rough analysis of those documents show that 80 per cent or more of the principles are the same in all the documents. The problem is that they are either supported by only one stakeholder group or they are limited in their geographical scope. The opportunity here is now to "globalize" and "multistakeholderize" those principle. As long as the principles are "high  level", "general" and "legally non-binding" there should be an opportunity to reach rough consensus among governments, private sector, technical community and civil society where all the stakeholders commit themselves to respect those principles. Such a  "Framework of Committment" could become an important reference document for future political Internet conflicts, similar to the U
niversal Declaration of Human Rights from 1948 which is also a legally non-binding document of very high level principles. It took nearly 20 years (until 1966) until the non-binding declaration was "translated" into legally binding language (in form the the two human rights conventions) and another 25 years until more than 150 countries did ratify the two conventions. The devil is in the legal details and the interpretation. So if you want to have rough consensus, keep the devil out, do not go to the details but agree on a high level where everybody can agree. Do the "details" later, but do what you can do now. And be realistic. The Human Rights Declaration of 1948 did not stop violation of human rights. But everybody agrees that this is a very useful and important document. It would be good to have a similar document for the Internet, supported not only by governments (as the Human Rights Declaration) but by all stakeholders, including Google, Facebook, ICANN, IETF, APC and HRW etc.