[governance] UN controls the country code part of the Internet root, not US

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Dec 13 12:19:12 EST 2013

Daniel,

On Dec 13, 2013, at 3:27 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:
> As already mentioned, because of questionable practices by IANA in ICANN's "grey period" the policy defined in RFC1591 and further "clarified" by the GAC Principles is being curently interpreted by a broadly constituted working group under the authority of the ccNSO.

Back when I was there, one of the hardest jobs folks at IANA had was trying to establish the interests of the "local Internet community", particularly in the context of the GAC Principles.  There are a number of folks (perhaps not surprisingly, many of which are on the GAC) who believe that if a government says "redelegate the ccTLD to Bob", IANA should do so with no questions asked. Unfortunately, historically, this proved problematic -- there were cases (long ago) in which IANA did essentially this, resulting in the ccTLD becoming unreachable because the government designated administrators were not capable/competent/knowledgable enough in the operation of the DNS.  Since the failure to resolve a ccTLD impacts all names within that TLD as well as anyone in any other domain attempting to reach names within the TLD, it was felt that security/stability concerns for the Internet as a whole required a broader view than simply the ccTLD's government's view and the interests of the "local Internet community" (a term that has never to my knowledge been defined) had to be taken into account.

I'm sure any of the folks trying to interpret the (arguably) conflicting requirements of RFC 1591 and the GAC Principles are looking forward to the output of the FOI working group.

Regards,
-drc