[governance] [bestbits] HLLM in LOndon - CS reps

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Thu Dec 12 14:15:34 EST 2013

Sorry McTim, not quite buying it.

I will read between the lines that our choice of names was not quite welcome as a last minute add to the London meeting; albeit only last minute since IGC were not asked earlier to engage at 'High Level.'

Admittedly, those 2 names were NEVER going to be warmly received. Ok, 1 name. Cough, Milton.  (I suspect Anriette's exclusion is a guilt by association thing, NOT about timing; but of course no need for anyone to admit or deny that.)

Since I was one of Milton's advocates for inclusion, frankly I do consider this a test case for willingness of ICANN for the Brazil meeting to be as - forward-looking and substantive - as IGCers would like.

Fine, as Milton and everyone else notes, the HLLM process was started by ICANN and they can invite whomever they wish to their party, no need for explanations of invitations not extended.

Still, the test case imho shows the limits to what ICANN wants to have on the Brazil agenda, and that's again - their choice as co-convenor of a process.

Therefore, I suggest we stop paying so much attention to HLLM since it is its own ICANN show; and focus instead on the substance of Adam's suggestions as to steps and processes on the cs road to Brazil.

Feeding docs to those engaged with HLLM to - maybe - make some level of mention of what we do, is ok, but not a high priority given that the HLLM die is cast. Mozilla, ICANN, Heritage etc will all do the best they can for their constituents, as they should, and agreed with McTim in broader CS sense there is representation. So no problem, we all move on.

Even as the clock ticks ever more loudly towards April 2014. When either - substance or show - happens.

I already placed my bet that we are all invited to witness/participate in the -show - of a Fadi/Dilma April 2014 handshake photo op, to advance President Rousseff's reelection bid AND Fadi's ITU Pleni-phobia agendas.

Fine, some of us can be extras in or out of the photo frame; but is that all we are trying to do?

CSers engaged in Internet governance discussions as IGC, Best Bits, APC, whatever label, can of course input directly to Brazil co-organizers and liaisons, without the need to negotiate or filter through HLLM, to try to make more of the Brazil event than might otherwise occur, towards initiating a multi-year process to move the global ball ahead towards an - open and shared Internet governance goal or set of goals. (Keeping with the sports analogy, the fumbled HLLM process counts as another own goal along with fumbled launch of 1net, but as Milton generously noted, there is a rush and not much time and we all make mistakes.)

Still, in the virtual hothouse of the final April agenda assembly effort, by Brazilian CS, and Brazilian government and business interests, AND ICANN as lead for the 1net, hllm etc processes, things will shake out one way, or another.

So my 2 cents - let's move on, and leave HLLM to Bill to advise and inform, since that's all they appear to want from us.

Fine, there's much more to do and debate, as Adam has begun to do. Without needing HLLM endorsement or permission for those discussions. Who has further comments on Adam's 2-part email?  Modifications?

Lee