[governance] RE: [bestbits] Call for expressions of interest: 1net steering committee

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 11:23:25 EST 2013

From: Jeremy Malcolm [mailto:jeremy at ciroap.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:30 PM
To: michael gurstein
Cc: cs-coord at lists.bestbits.net
Subject: Re: [bestbits] Call for expressions of interest: 1net steering
committee

.

switching lists because this is not a Best Bits process issue.  Ian has
already provided some more detail in the next email in the thread, which
crossed with yours.  But generally, all of the liaisons were asked to choose
their preferred candidates based on discussions within their networks (for
example, on the Best Bits list several people spoke up in favour of Rafik),
and these were tallied up.  The three candidates mentioned had the most
common support.

--

Dr Jeremy Malcolm

MG: Ah, I see, you sat down with a couple of mates, licked your finger and
tested the wind and then hey presto, the "result of the civil society
coordination group process"--all of course conducted with that appropriate
measure of democratic transparency and accountability that we so often
expect of those to whom we pro-offer advice and comment.

And I particularly like the fact that you forgo humility and claim that this
represents "the civil society . process". not the false modesty of "a civil
society process" or perhaps "a process among a small and self-selected group
of civil society actors".

You are too modest, this model should be shared with the larger Civil
Society community and beyond.

(And as I said in another email yesterday, this is not simply about process
but specifically about representing (or not) the full range of CS positions
and interests which your lack of an appropriate process deliberately, it
appears, was designed to preclude.)

Shame.