[governance] [bestbits] HLLM in LOndon - CS reps

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 20:38:01 EST 2013

I think the issues are rather different from the polarity Milton (and
George) are posing. It isn't just an issue of representation or substance
but rather representation and substance or rather representation being
necessary for substance. Even though there appears to be some issues with
recognizing this in our current context.

I'm also copying this to BestBits and by implication the "steering
committee" (or whatever it is currently being called).

So far, I have yet to see any specific recognition or more importantly
accommodation to the quite evident differences as between various groupings
within Civil Society as to the nature of the substantive inputs that will be
given into any framework for which nominations are/will/should be solicited.

There are I believe, quite significant differences with respect to how
matters of Internet Governance could/should be addressed/resolved within (IG
based) CS (as there is of course, in the larger CS and non-CS world.

These differences apart from the cartoonish mis-characterizations
pro-offered by certain irresponsible elements are serious and reflect
different perspectives (and broad societally based interests) on how an
overall balance towards a democratic, just and inclusive Internet can be
achieved.

Either these differences are reflected first within whatever approach to
selection is entered into and then in the range of nominees themselves; or
the selection process will be illegitimate, have done CS overall a major
disservice, and any illusions of a common CS front will be impossible. And
one can expect that the resulting parallel strategies for representation
will be pursued with the utmost vigour including through whatever means of
public visibility might be available.

The usual process within CS of opting for "identity" based modes of
"representivity" i.e. gender, region, age etc. is clearly insufficient in a
context as fundamental and as normatively/substantively divided as the one
that we are currently dealing with.

I believe however, that there is within CS a broad underlying agreement on
overall values with respect to IG and the future of the internet.  I think
it would be a serious mistake to not have the principled disagreements on
how best to achieve those ultimate goals reflected within whatever
representations CS makes in the various venues in the days going forward so
that a united CS can move forward towards those goals.

Best,

Mike