[governance] [bestbits] HLLM in LOndon - CS reps

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 08:05:00 EST 2013

Milton is right about the (lack of) process. On the one hand, it is
positive that we have someone we trust there. On the other hand, it does
seem that they are including who they want and how they want, totally
disregarding the serious process we have been conducting to appoint names.

I think that a letter signed by all organizations that participated in the
nomination process should be sent to ICANN and ideally read during the
meeting, expressing our frustration and adding some concrete suggestions. I
come back to the points I made earlier:
- the agenda of the HL panel meetings should be publicized in advance
- channels to receive inputs (procedural or substantive) should be created
or clarified
- their meetings should be open to observers (like the meetings of the CSTD
ECWG)
- Reports of the meetings should be published. They could follow Chatam
House rules
And
- CS representatives (names), who were appointed following an internal and
legitimate process carried out by CS, should be immediately included in the
HL panel to ensure minimum CS representation.

MarĂ­lia

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
>
> > The distinction between Bill's appointment as an expert and the CS
> > groups' nomination of people to be on the committee is not so clear
> > to me, and we cannot assume that it is clear to Fadi, especially
> > since the London meeting of the group starts in two days. Either one
> > could be seen as Fadi making a concession to CS demands to be
> > included in the HLLM, and he may consider one to be a substitute for
> > the other.  At this stage, I would assume that if there is no
> > appointment of another CS rep to the HL Panel by now, that there will
> > not be one at all, and Bill is all we will be given. The fact that
> > Bill's appointment came from a random F2F hallway meeting isn't
> > something that inspires confidence, is it?
>
> +1
>
> Especially given that there was in fact a coordinated civil society
> process through which names have been put forward.
>
> Greetings,
> Norbert

*MarĂ­lia Maciel*
Pesquisadora Gestora
Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio

Researcher and Coordinator
Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law School
http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts

DiploFoundation associate
www.diplomacy.edu