[governance] Saving the Net

Jean-Christophe Nothias jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 03:37:14 EST 2013

What is a bit of concern is that Fleur Pellerin might not be with full support of other French ministers.

Gilles Babinet, special French envoy to Nellie Kroes has just complained about the new French military programme and budget, showing reinforcement of surveillance spendings and capacities. A counter response to the US surveillance programmes. Not exactly in line with Fleur Pellerin. Certainly not the right way to address the issue. What's the quai d'Orsay saying? Martinon?

Again, and again, we need to have, among other things, a governance ecosystem constraining states to better behavior. If this goes specifically through international law and a multilateral agreement, let's be it. With one global multilateral convention, we might stop this overall governmental escalation of paranoia. The US has not shown the right direction. Is Eli Noam right? Are we going toward an inevitable balkanization of the Internet?

:-(

JC

Gilles Babinet : « Nous sommes à deux doigts de la dictature numérique »

http://www.lesechos.fr/entreprises-secteurs/tech-medias/interview/0203176354634-gilles-babinet-nous-sommes-a-deux-doigts-de-la-dictature-numerique-635485.php?xtor=RSS-2059&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No copyright infringement on this one.