[governance] Message to the IGC [Call for Wider Civil Society to engage in a Coalition]

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Sun Dec 8 09:35:18 EST 2013

Hi

On Dec 8, 2013, at 2:44 PM, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If it is networks and not organizations, or organized entities, thanx I do not believe that IGC belongs in the list of enumerated networks.
>
> Especially since almost all the members of the IGC are also in the BB. To me this this looks like double dipping.

I understand the argument but am not sure which is the second dip.  To my knowledge, BB is a platform that allows orgs and individuals to sign onto statements, it doesn’t have a fixed membership.  So absent a sign on in support, who would the representative of BB on the 1net coordination group or any other collaboration (e.g. the SP committees) actually represent, besides the five BB steering committee members?

BB is a good initiative with good folks but I just don’t understand its status in this context.   Nor do I understand what its position is on 1net and related, since key participants keep saying rather different things on the lists, some of them in rather ringingly definitive terms like “Civil society believes xyz” (needless to say, the rest of civil society was not asked and may not agree).    I think it’d be helpful if the steering committee would pow wow and come out with a clear statement as to its positions and for whom exactly they are speaking, as the various messages have caused a lot of confusion among other stakeholders on 1net who’ve been asking off list who are these folks and what’s the deal with them, and I have no idea how to respond.

Best

Bill