[governance] RE: [bestbits] FW: Broadband Manifesto

Anja Kovacs anja at internetdemocracy.in
Thu Dec 5 06:11:54 EST 2013

On 5 December 2013 16:35, Jean-Louis FULLSACK <jlfullsack at orange.fr> wrote:

> Anja
>

> I fully agree with your opinion about AL content, at least in their
> current wording. In fact, they include both the crucial issues, development
> and Internet governance, and for a more comprehensive and efficient
> approach these issues should be filtered out. Second step to undertake
> would be to group some of them (Bertrand suggested this re-grouping some
> years ago). If done consistently that would reduce the number of WGs,
> facilitate their activity and give them an actual impetus.
>

> Once again, a strong CS presence and commitment in the process is a
> precondtion for the WSIS to survive its "+10"term, this is my utterly
> convicgion. But as you may agree, it isn't the unique one ! IMO IG
> would/could survive a WSIS failure, because it is a global issue ... and
> all "stakeholders" are interested in worldwide. Development is a more
> complex and holistic problems with many variables and parameters, and CS
> has lost its strong influence in the WSIS process during the last years as
> has been highlighted by the absence of an active and animated :-)
> discussion list (e.g. plenary at wsis-cs.org) <plenary at wsis-cs.org)s> as  a
> counterpart of as governance at ists.

Fully agree with you here, Jean-Louis.

I know it's early days, and so much still isn't known about the WSIS+10
Review Summit, but do you perhaps see any potential to galvanise CS again
around the development aspects in the context of that meeting, and then
hopefully get off to a new and more productive start?

Best regards,
Anja

> Best regards
>

> Jean-Louis Fullsack
>

> > Message du 05/12/13 09:31
> > De : "Anja Kovacs"
> > A : "michael gurstein"
> > Copie à : jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr, "Nick Ashton-Hart" , "IGC" ,
> "bestbits"
> > Objet : RE: [governance] RE: [bestbits] FW: Broadband Manifesto
>

> > As long as the Internet governance issues and the development issues
> aren't separated more clearly within the Action Lines, I don't think much
> progress can be made, not even if there are AL working groups. This is
> first, because the Internet governance issues and the development issues in
> the AL require two slightly different (though overlapping to some extent)
> communities to get excited and involved, and second, because the issues
> that they will be addressing need addressing at different levels. Many of
> the IG issues in the Action Lines are actually among the international
> public policy issues that require a global solution, while the development
> issues frequently rely more heavily on intervention at the national level.
> We'd want grassroots input into both, but for grassroots activists to
> easily find their way into these processes, it is important that the
> intended outcome, or at least promise, of such processes is obvious, and as
> long as a variety of issues are thrown together as they are now, that will
> not be the case. As a consequence, nobody has taken, or felt, any ownership
> over the action lines so far, nor has anyone done anything much ""because
> the Action Lines exist" - except perhaps the UN bodies that were
> responsible for facilitating them.
>

> > If we are to reenergise the Action Line part of the WSIS (and there is
> no indication that governments want to do away with it, so it  makes sense
> to try and make it work), separating these very different issues out
> therefore seems a crucial first step. It is only once this has been done
> that the proposed working groups will really be able to make a difference
> (and I agree that they can make a substantial difference at that stage).
>
> > Best,
>
> > Anja
> >
> On Dec 5, 2013 5:32 AM, "michael gurstein" <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  Yes, I also think that these are very useful and thanks for pointing to
>> them J-L…
>>

>> I’m wondering how to help move them forward?

Dr. Anja Kovacs