[governance] RE: [bestbits] FW: Broadband Manifesto

jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr jlfullsack at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 4 18:03:33 EST 2013

Anja, Michael
and all

The regular WSIS process had mainly two "hot potatoes" in its programme :
- development issues and financing mechanisms for solving them
- Internet governance issues (the WGIG was supposed to pave the way for responding to them)
If we agree on these two main objectives to ge given a appropriate solution we should perhaps listen on the Adama Samassekou's proposals during the last Forum intended to giving the WSIS follow-up process a new impulse.
First, he suggested to replace PPPs, Public-Private Partnetships, the "holy grail of the WSIS leaders, firts of all the ITU, by MSPs, i.e. the Multi-stakeholder Partnership. Thus the WSIS spirit is restaured because CS is effectively present and part of it, contrarily to the PPP.
Second, he asked for setting up a Working Group per Action Line or grouping of several AL that analyses thoroughly and objectively (that implies that a critical approach replaces the recurrent "success stories") the objectives aimed for by thess AL or AL groups.These WGs would collect the informations upon the evolution of the key issues, the work done and the point achieved during the past annual period. In other words : action and results instead of story-telling !

I suggest that we consider seriously Adama Samassekou's proposals as a major input for the coming preparatory programme meetings (16-17 december and February), having in mind the two main themes, namely development and related financing mechanisms and Internet Governance. Of course, this list with its member organizations (IG Caucus, Bestbits, IT4Change, APC, Eurolinc, etc) will focus on the latter and submit contributions to the WSIS coordinators accordingly.

For these proposals to succeed, I personnaly opt for CS being "ITU embedded" (see my previous e-mail), that will ensure that the WSIS leading UN agency respects the requests proposed by the CS orgs or at least considers them as valuable inputs.

Best regards

Jean-Louis Fullsack

> Message du 02/12/13 23:17
> De : "michael gurstein"
> A : "'Anja Kovacs'"
> Copie à : "'Nick Ashton-Hart'" , "'IGC'" , "'bestbits'"
> Objet : [governance] RE: [bestbits] FW: Broadband Manifesto

Anja,

I really haven’t followed or kept up with the Action Lines process… The few times that I did take a look it seemed to be mostly around fairly empty self-congratulations about the success of one pilot project or paper exercise or another with little real connection with what might be happening on the ground.

Rather I’ve tried to spend my time at my “day job” which is helping in various ways to support/enable bottom up development processes. As I tried to point out in my reply to George’s comments on my earlier post the connection that I see between bottom up development (the kind that actually works) and say a WSIS process is that global policy influences national policy and national, multilateral and foundation funding. Bottom up development will only go so far until it runs into a policy or a funding blockage. If the supporting mechanisms/policies aren’t there initiatives fail and ladders quickly turn into snakes. Then, the people with the fewest resources are required to start all over again while the those with the most get to jet off to another international conference talking about which square “Action Line” peg can be snaffled to fit into the required round hole so as to appear to be supportive of “Poverty Reduction” or whatever the flavor of the day happens to be.

Action Lines aren’t “development” they are a way of describing (or in most cases mis-describing) development activities taking place (or not) rather far distant from wherever those Action Lines are being discussed. The non-IG part of WSIS should be about the reality of development and a WSIS +10 either takes a close look at what worked (or more likely, didn’t) on the ground and starts from there or it isn’t about anything at all.