[governance] Message to the IGC [Call for Wider Civil Society to engage in a Coalition]

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Tue Dec 3 00:31:37 EST 2013

Sala,

Our organization in very interested in participating in designing the
road ahead:

 1. Name of the Organisation or Network (and when organisation or
    network was first formed) - Connecting.nyc Inc., a NYS nonprofit
    formed in 2006.
 2. Details of Constituency represented (Please also identify whether
    this is a country based/regional or international) We represent
    individual Internet users in New York _City_.
 3. Name of Coordinator of Organisation/Network - Thomas Lowenhaupt
 4. Contact Details (including website) - Tom at connectingnyc.org,
    http://connectingnyc.org
 5. Name of one Nominee to the Coalition who will speak on
    administrative matters where it comes to the wider coalition -
    Thomas Lowenhaupt

Note: Our organization's focus centers around improving communication
and decision making in the urban environment of New York City. In that
light, I suggest you consider rephrasing question #2 "Details of
Constituency represented." We are neither country, regional or
international. It is our belief that urban needs have been
underrepresented in designing Internet resources. While our focus is New
York City, I suspect there are other urban entities that would join this
emerging collaborative effort if an invitation was extended. With 37
cities having applied for TLDs, extending an invitation to those city
administrations (not the back end providers) would add another
(complexity and ) layer to the evolution of Internet governance. (My
view is that cities (here in the U.S.) are closer to civil society than
government and should be considered part of the bottom-up process.)

Sincerely,

Thomas Lowenhaupt