[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Dec 2 18:28:03 EST 2013

Milton,

On Dec 2, 2013, at 1:59 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:
> Well, yeah, Verisign's .com and .net zone files are probably as important to the global economy as the root zone. Why not have the government supervise its changes and additions?

I believe a key difference is the scope of impact -- just as you mucking about with an RIR-assigned address block isn't likely to affect the national/global Internet, someone mucking about with a second-level domain is unlikely to cause national/global problems.

> The point I am making is, if Verisign screws up its TLD zone file, they face lawsuits. Probably a pretty strong deterrent.

It wasn't a sufficient deterrent to stop Sitefinder from being implemented.

> Would such a deterrent be sufficient for ICANN, or does it really need this external audit function?

Does <pick a venue> civil/contractual law cover all possible cases in which ICANN can screw up sufficiently to act as a deterrent and/or provide remedy? Is that law sufficiently stable over the lifetime of ICANN/the Internet to ensure that changes to that law are acceptable to the global Internet community? Personally speaking, it seems ... more transparent to me for there to be a consensus-driven external audit function rather than rely upon the legal environment in which ICANN happens to reside.  But then again, I'm from the technical community so my opinion is suspect (:))...

Regards,
-drc