[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Jovan Kurbalija jovank at diplomacy.edu
Mon Dec 2 03:49:54 EST 2013

Dear Lee,

There is no disagreement. There is a difference between incorporation and
operations. The Yahoo! case – one of early Internet law cases – illustrated
this difference. The case in the French court was not against Yahoo!-France
(incorporated under French law), but against Yahoo!-USA based on the effect
principle (the possibility that French users can access materials at
Yahoo!.com which are prohibited by French law).

It is clear that any entity should adhere to the laws of the country where
it is INCORPORATED. ICANN-Singapore is a separate legal entity to
ICANN-California. Thus whatever it does is subject to Singaporean law.
ICANN-California may have indirect legal responsibility as a founding
partner. It is a simple situation.

A much more complicated situation is when the SAME entity (e.g.
ICANN-California) OPERATES in different jurisdictions either intentionally
(signing contracts) or unintentionally (creating legal effects by its
actions – for example, similar to the Yahoo! case).  Here we enter the
terrain of potential multiple jurisdiction. Volumes have been written on it
in international private law. There is rich jurisprudence.

After Rafik's and Norbert's comments it seems that Fadi was referring to
legal incorporation in different jurisdictions (opening new legal entities
in Turkey and Singapore with specific functions – for example, regional
cooperation, training). It is not clear if these new entities will have any
legal responsibility over ICANN's core functions.

Regards, Jovan