[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Mon Dec 2 03:43:54 EST 2013

Hi

Um, I mean this in the nicest possible way, as I like Fadi and support what he’s trying to do e.g. with Brazil, but personally I wouldn’t spend a lot of cycles doing deep deconstructions of his every utterance before he’s gotten around to a second or third iteration in which there’s further specification.  He’s an ideas guy with a lot of stuff percolating and a politician who shakes 50 hands and hour and wants each person to go away happy. In consequence, he sometimes says things off the cuff that he’s not anticipated people will go off and try to interpret in order to draw strong immediate conclusions and action plans.  As Rafik notes, his comment on internationalization and Geneva was misreported and had to be clarified.  His comment about welcoming suggestion of a name for the HLP led to a flurry of CS activity and demands that two people be added.  His comments about multi-equal-stakeholderism were I think meant simply to imply a recognition that there needs to be a better balance of influence among players (everyone in ICANN thinks ICANN’s been captured, but nobody agrees by whom).  Similarly, the comment about ICANN being subject to multiple jurisdictions probably wasn’t a thought out proposal for a new and more complex legal architecture as much as a comment about having different offices in different places.  This tendency has helped to stimulate some ribbing, usually good natured, such as the tweet tag #shitfadisays.  So depending on how people like to spend their time, one can either debate back and forth about possible meanings, or you could just shoot him a note and ask what he meant.  In general, I’d think the latter might be more efficient.

Best,

Bill