[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Sun Dec 1 13:33:05 EST 2013

Milton,

Aren't there 3 aspects here?
- statutes and bylaw (under which and to which jurisdiction to go in case of crime, felony, liability - how the entity works, how the entity wants to rule itself  )
- mandate ( in the case of ICANN it obeys to a mandate for the US Gov, not to a law)
- US policy and US law as it applies to all its citizens, corps, non profit if concerned.

In case of a Swiss 'idea', you've got two options - one is Swiss, the other one is international
- If it is given and recognized a special statute such the Red Cross, then you have not necessarily a Swiss jurisdiction, but an international jurisdiction
- A mandate? Such an organization could have several bodies to take its mandate from: an entity having signed a contract with the UN, belonging to the UN system but not being a UN agency or program. Many entities are older than the UN. They have agreed to be part of the UN system, still retaining their own specific constituencies. So you have a couple of options.

To be explored

JC