[governance] RE: [bestbits] What is 1Net? Blog post by Paul Wilson of APNIC

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Dec 1 13:08:10 EST 2013

I might add one other thing.

When Paul Wilson and other representatives of I* governance organizations happily concede that 'governments are stakeholders too' I believe that what they are doing is proposing a political bargain, not a coherent mode of governance.

In other words, they are trying to reach an accommodation with nation-states that will preserve key elements of the status quo by reassuring state actors that they will not be left out of or excluded from the system. By calling states-as-unitary-actors "stakeholders" who must be specially accommodated through contradictory and dysfunctional arrangements like the GAC, they are literally compromising what we know about how MS governance works in order to buy greater political support for the new institutions from the old institutions.

Think of Britain topping of its emerging democracy with a monarchy, if you want a historical analogy. Democracy and monarchy are fundamentally incompatible forms of government, and ultimately one must prevail over the other, but in the transitional period you are bound to get weird, path-dependent mixes of the two.

Of course, most of us are not parties to such a bargain. It does not serve our interests, and in fact it warps the entire bottom up policy development process.