[governance] Re: [bestbits] What is 1Net? Blog post by Paul Wilson of APNIC

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Sun Dec 1 11:20:25 EST 2013

Milton,

even though I agree with your passage that "Governments qua governments are
supposed to aggregate and represent all the "stakeholders" under their
jurisdiction", I'm not sure I fully understand the implications. What would
then be the role of governments / public authorities in a multi-stakeholder
governance model?

Ciao,

Andrea

On Sunday, December 1, 2013, Milton L Mueller wrote:

>  It's actually a confusion of domains to consider governments as
> "stakeholders" in the same sense that an individual, a civil society
> organization or a business or trade association is a stakeholder.
> Especially when governments are treated as if they are unitary actors who
> aggregate the interests of an entire nation.
>
>  Governments qua governments are supposed to aggregate and represent all
> the "stakeholders" under their jurisdiction. To combine direct,
> representation of stakeholders with unitary national governments is to
> throw together two completely incompatible systems of representation. That
> is what so many people don't get about MSM
>

>  ------------------------------
> *From:* governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org');> [
> governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'governance-request at lists.igcaucus.org');>] on behalf of Suresh
> Ramasubramanian [suresh at hserus.net <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'suresh at hserus.net');>]
> *Sent:* Sunday, December 01, 2013 4:05 AM
> *To:* governance at lists.igcaucus.org <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> 'governance at lists.igcaucus.org');>; Guru गुरु
> *Subject:* Re: [governance] [bestbits] What is 1Net? Blog post by Paul
> Wilson of APNIC
>
>    Why shouldn't they be?
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 01-Dec-2013, at 14:08, Guru गुरु <Guru at ITforChange.net> wrote:
>

> On 12/01/2013 11:02 AM, Paul Wilson wrote:
>
> Thanks Suresh.
>
> Indeed, I was referring to the "Internet community" in the broadest sense, including all stakeholders.
>

> are Governments included in this 'all stakeholders'
>
> Guru
>
> Paul.
>

> On 30/11/2013, at 8:45 AM, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
>

>  Not speaking for Paul but the definition of Internet community he appears to refer to is quite open, and more importantly, does not seek to specifically exclude particular classes of people or organizations.
>
> --srs (iPad)
>
> On 30-Nov-2013, at 0:57, "michael gurstein" <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  Thanks for the pointer to this very interesting post Nnenna.
>
> Paul uses the term “Internet community” in several places and I’m curious what he means by it…
>
> I have a feeling that we may not all have a similar definition (or that our definitions are evolving) and that that might be one reason why our discussions often go off the rails—we have different conceptions of who the audience or target group is for various of the policy issues that we address from time to time.
>
> (I provided my own definition in my current blogpost, but I’m not sure that everyone here agrees with mine J and of course ISOC,  ICANN, IETF also all use the term “Internet community” and if those folks also want to chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro