[governance] DMP} Statement on Process and Objectives for the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Sun Dec 1 08:55:52 EST 2013

thanks Suresh, though this does not convince me much.

It reminds me of a great executive at Airbus. He achieved a few things in this European project, such as managing the building of the new assembly facility for the Airbus A380 (a huge and smart plant by the way). Before that he had to restructure the EADS missile branch. It was made of many different parts, each of them assuming they were acting together (do you say multistakeholder here?). Reality was that these different parts were more or less baronies, who would stick to their history, tradition, way of thinking, number of employees... The only way he could make them work together, in an efficient manner was to create a brand new building. Other old buildings could not only fit everyone, but could not either fit new technologies, new management skills... He needed a shock of culture, a transformative plan. That's how he succeeded. Some of the old buildings were later decommissioned, though not all of them. The new building was a great success. It was a transparent building (unusual for missile makers) and it allowed them to link back to civil industry, as the missile business was losing a lot of ground.

What seems to me, is that, even though they are many great minds and a lot of experience and expertise along the IGF path, today that process is almost coming to an end. The fact that the ICANN is more or less doing what it pleases itself in regards of panels, committee, liaisons, participants, means the IGF has no other choice than to think different. Don't you think?

We can wait for Brazil, and see where this is will drive the IGF community with its flaws and virtues. The ICANN train won't wait for the IGF when IGF should be the locomotive.
__________________________

Jean-Christophe Nothias
Editor in Chief
jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
@jc_nothias

Follow us on Twitter and Like us on Facebook
Follow my Op-Eds at the Huffington Post US

Palais des Nations SP2-53
8-14 avenue de la Paix
1211 Geneva, Switzerland

T: +41 22 917 12 97