[governance] Fwd: [At-Large] The Internet as we know it is dead

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Thu Aug 29 16:15:43 EDT 2013

One of many expressions of (justified) concern at the implications of the NSA revelations, particularly when everyone was so paranoid about how a mere mention of unsolicited bulk email in the ITRs would have (allegedly) cleared the way for systematic surveillance. Well, it turns out systematic surveillance was already happening... And this was quite predictable. We need to take more seriously now the 'realist' argument I have been advancing regarding the role of states in Internet governance:

The biggest threats to Internet freedom today do not come from intergovernmental organizations. They come from national governments with the institutional mechanisms to regulate, restrict, surveil, censor and license Internet suppliers and users. National governments have police forces, armies - and armies of regulators. This includes, especially, our own government, which has greater global reach than any other state. (from http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/Greatest-threat-to-Internet-governments-3723621.php#page-2 )

This was written before the Snowden revelations, btw. States exist in a state of anarchy, when it comes to national security and military affairs. Thus it should be
The choice is not "the multistakeholder model" vs. the ITU. It is the denationalization of Internet governance vs. the international anarchy of governance by 190 nation-states.